Here on Episode 11 of Offshoot we welcome Jon Lotter.
Jon is founder and Managing Director of Appian Capital, a boutique investment manager that has invested in over 140 transactions deploying over $400MM of equity in $2.2B of real estate value.
Jon’s innate curiosity, tenacity, abilities, and intentional efforts have delivered Appian from a startup to 20-year-old veteran player that’s executing some of the stronger investment deals in the Country.
Jon shares some excellent insights for life and business in this one:
• Larger deals pay more… do them!
• Conservative underwriting is a differentiator and competitive advantage.
• How force majeure provisions are impacting GMAX contracts and cost containment.
• What it looks like to be opportunistic and seek the best deals throughout the investment cycle.
• How to narrow the target and shoot at less.
• Why co-mingled, discretionary, closed-end funds are fundamentally mismatched to real estate investment.
• Why being able to pass on a deals, forever, is a competitive advantage.
• First who, then what. IE: first the developer, then the project.
• Expect headwinds and be happy if/when they don’t happen.
• How fulfilment and success are a blessing role model for your children.
• Keeping it simple; it isn’t that complicated.
• Be intentional with what you do, stay on track.